Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Drunk filled rant I posted to kindle boards today!

So I've kinda noticed that you guys and gals have a pretty much tight community going on here. So instead of just jumping into to topics and being deemed the "new guy" like I've been doing, I figured it would be better to introduce myself to this thriving community.

My name is Rashaad Bell. I was born in NY, though I'm an army brat so I was kinda raised all up and down the east coast, from Fort Bragg, to Delaware.

I consider myself from Baltimore, since that's where I grew into "manhood". I joined the marines right out of high school and was stationed at Camp Johnson, North Carolina, Camp Pendleton, California, Okinawa, Japan and 29 Palms, California.

After that I moved to Oakland, California, back when it was the murder capital of the United States, then I settled down in Palm Coast, Florida. (which is where all my books are set)

When I was in Cali, I used to rap in a group, Universal Soldiers. I used to go to Mexico a lot and do lots of free style battles. We called ourselves Universal Soldiers because everyone that was in our group was from Baltimore, we all had lived in Japan and done rap shows there and we all ended up in Oceanside, California. That was the city right outside of Camp Pendelton.

I've been writting in some form, all my life, from doing our own comics in elementary school, to me starting to write my first books after I read Lord of the Rings in middle school. Not to mention all the rhymes I used to write and the freestyle battles I used to do. Nothing is harder then having an east coast flow and battling bloods and crips in the middle of Los Angles and win, walk away with respect and not get shot.

I came across Konraths blog and heard about Amanda Hocking making a gazillion dollars and decided to get off my butt and write something. I self published Forgotten Future last year, a collection of short stories that I had written. Honestly, those stories are kinda bugged out because during my suicidal phase, I would buy lots of weed, then go to this old cemetery, it had people buried there from the 1800's, and I would sit underneath this giant statue of an angel on this dudes grave and smoke weed and read H.P. lovecraft and write short stories high out my mind.

Ahh...the good old days.

Then I moved to Palm Coast, Florida and wrote the Vampire Manifesto and it's sequel, Fledgling. Not cause I wanted to, but I got laid off from my job doing customer service for magizine subscriptions, cause who has a magizine subscription these days. So in a hate fueled rage, I wrote Vampire Manifesto. Then when a women I was madly in love with basically told me I wasn't good enough for her, I wrote the sequel, Fledgling. (who needs you I'm gonna be famous!!! Lol or at least I thought)

I didn't really make any money, but I was just proud to have written a book. I found out that a lot of my "friends" were hating on me because, I'm Rashaad, I can't possibly be an author. I can't possibly do something that they couldn't do.

Well I am! How you like me now!

I usually use hate and depression to write, but this month I received my first fan mail. Now I'm writting because I honestly have someone who doesn't know me waiting for my next book. Like I said, I didn't make a lot of money from my books, and I still don't, but now, when I get a direct deposit from amazon, it's enough to pay the water bill, or enough to pay the electric bill or buy a video game I couldn't afford, so to me it's a win-win.

So this is me. I have no public persona, though I guess I should, otherwise this would be an entirley different "intoduction" but I'd much rather give real talk then put on a facade. I really want to work in comics and I have a secret dream of having the Vampire Manifesto become a TV show.

My book is about Vampires, but not really. It's more like a story that just so happens to have Vampires in them. Most of my stuff is rated R. In my books, I murder, torture, curse, drop F bombs, have drug use, sex, deal with string theory, alternate dimensions  and have lots of Gods show up from every different culture.

I don't think there is a genre for what I write, but I have a story to tell and I don't care if people can't "label" it correctly.

So that's me. Hi! I've given you way to much info, but I'm drunk and don't wanna drunk text anyone, so I did this instead.  Lol.

I'm going to be here for a while, so get prepared....

Love to love to love ya...

3 comments:

  1. Just finished reading your 1st book vampire manifesto and I loved it! I am going to start book 2 tomorrow and hoping book 3 is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say I loved both books I'm not a reader and when I find something I like I really get into them so I can't wait til book 3 comes out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gutted there is no book 3! Do whatever that motivated you to write the first two books and dont leave me hanging!

    Good work x

    ReplyDelete